TPP2 Tutorial 5 (1-2-1 with Sharon Ting)

                                                                                                                                                             Friday 16th April

 Pre Tutorial Critical Reflection -

     List 3 priorities below to discuss at your tutorial:

    1. A return to making - *see images from the past two weeks - inspired by the process of intaglio - the project is taking on its own form, I have really enjoyed myself (surprisingly) giving myself over to the process has been really rewarding 
    2. Great chat with Phillipa Lawrence yesterday- she really helped me in understanding the purpose of my work- I think I have been worried about making everything link- I am interested in public engagement/the cultural sector etc but this project doesn't need to be that right now - its has become a project for me almost and that's okay - Phillipa explained that the sector is full of funding for projects that do reach out to audience but for her it has never been key to her practice - she simply makes and hopes it resonates with people- I think this is where I am at - she explained that often when projects are specifically for the purpose of public engagement, the whole process is a lot more strategic from the outset - I think since this is my last university project I just want to let it be what it is
    3. Context- after listening to Phillipa talk yesterday, I think id like to create some kind of exhibition pamphlet or booklet for submission - almost creating my own pretend exhibition- maybe thinking about including photographs of my work- maybe some kind of floorpan of the gallery space/audio tour transcript, maybe a theoretical programme of talks/open conversations about the work from people I admire, a reading list 
    4. I'd like to keep sampling at a A4 / A3 size and prepare for producing a couple of large scale works in the 4 weeks extended access - speaking to the print technicians my max measurements is looking like 90x90cm due to print press width 
    5. Do I incorporate stitch? unsure at the moment 
    6. Narrative - the void as an enigma , a sense of detachment from emotion, traces and remanants - intrinsically linked to me more than realised (making is an act of catharsis, sharing is the act of connection)

    During your Tutorial:


    • Make your intention to scale up past the hand in clear in your project proposal - it has become more than a submission- its a view to a whole body of work - it also allows you to take your time and enjoy the process of these last 8 weeks until submission
    • its great that you have had this revelation in allowing your practice to be a separate entity to your career aspirations - you have been on that journey of making and then almost breaking those connections to reach into the capabilities of the project- I remember we spoke about this at the beginning of the yea but you were ready then - you had to take your own time 
    • BAME representation in the arts - see competition Sharon sent through 

    Post Tutorial Critical Reflection:


    Personal comments 


    • I feel positive having communicated where I am at with my project and where I see it going. 
    • I look forward to returning to it after next weeks focus on CTS - writing about my practice may help inform where I go in next - at this point in time there is a lot of ideas and information floating around my mind so focusing on CTS might help pin this down - also could provide some great extracts for my exhibition document in the process.

    Priorities/Tasks 


    1. Remember you will be seeing April for TPP2 in two weeks time. 
    2. If you would like to see Sharon in person, just ping an email. Or if you need feedback - send images to Sharon also. 
    3. Next tutorials with Sharon will be in person. 

    Popular Posts